It was unanimously agreed that a Society be formed. Lt.Col. Ryves outlined the ideas which he had in mind when he conceived the hope that an Association of bird lovers in Cornwall might be formed. These had been clearly stated in an appeal published in the “Western Morning News” on 3rd October 1930. It was unanimously agreed that a Society on the lines indicated be formed, and Lady Vivian was elected President, Lt.Col. B.H. Ryves and Mr. G.H. Harvey Joint Hon. Secretaries, and Mr. C. Nicholson Hon. Treasurer. The following were elected Members of an Executive Committee: Lady Vyvyan, Mrs. Bewes, Major John Williams and Messrs. A.C. Polwhele and R. H. Meares.
Rules were then drawn up and approved, subject to scrutiny by the Committee and to final confirmation at the first general meeting. A programme of work for 1931 was discussed, and it was decided to concentrate specially on the Chough, with a view to locating the few nesting sites still occupied and to arranging for their safety. Members were asked to record the arrivals and departures of migrants and to report all interesting observations of birds and their distribution. Mr. P.D. Williams suggested that the County be divided into four ornithological districts by drawing a line on the map from Launceston to Penzance and another from Trevose to Veryan. The districts thus formed might be numbered as follows: 1 (N.E.), 2 (N.W.), 3 (S.E.), 4 (S.W.). The Scilly Islands would make a 5th district. It was agreed that the proposed division would prove useful both in recording bird distribution and in reporting any rare bird. In all cases of doubt in reporting a rare bird, the fullest possible details of size, plumage and other distinguishing features should be given. Other matters discussed included illegal setting of gins, swaling, wanton destruction of birds and the oil menace. As regards the last, the best help the Society could give was for members to report to the Hon. Secretaries all cases of oiling of birds for submission to the R.S.P.B.
The First General Meeting was held at Truro on 28th March, at which 26 new members were elected and the Rules of the Society approved. The Committee’s recommendation that a Watchers’ Fund be formed by the transference of one fifth of all annual subscriptions and by the appropriation to it of all donations to the Society was adopted. It was approved that members should forward their bird records twice yearly, namely as soon as possible after the 31st July and again at the close of the year.